There has been a church on the site from the 12th or 13th centuries but no part of the first building exists now. The list of incumbents shown on the Rector’s board at the west end of the church shows that Osbert Gifford was the Rector in 1313 during the reign of Edward II and the list continues to the present day with 44 names in all.
The oldest visible parts of the present church are the octagonal columns in the nave and much of the north wall, which date from the 15th century. Over the years the building has been much altered with the rebuilding of the chancel in 1671 during the time of the most notable Rector, Henry Bridgman who, although removed from office during the Civil War, was reinstated by Charles II and became Dean of Chester and Bishop of Man. The tower was built in 1744 and the main parts of the church interior are the result of a major restoration in Victorian times. This renovation in 1882 was done under the direction of John Douglas, a very well-known architect, and included the removal of the gallery.
The most recent part of the church is the extension at the north-west corner which was completed in March 2001. This provided a crêche room for little children during church services and a toilet. This extension was part of a redevelopment generously funded by members of the congregation and other friends of the church through an appeal. The development also provided a permanent building at the bottom of the new churchyard as a church hall. It has been named the Millennium Rooms and replaced a temporary structure which was installed in 1979.
Except at the time of services we keep the church locked, but a key may be available from the Rectory. The church is a Grade II* listed building and a good example of a traditional rural church. There are some fine Victorian windows and carvings. Of particular interest are the lovely individual kneelers, each embroidered by a person closely associated with the church, depicting the interests of those who worked on them and the life of the parish.
Some more information may be found this link A more detailed history is available in the form of a leaflet at the church Click here for a pdf version. This also contains information on the main families who have been associated with the Church throughout the ages.